Prejudgement Claims: What are They and When to Use One

When an unlawful detainer lawsuit is filed in California, every adult residing in a property has the right to be heard in court. This is true even if the person is not a named resident, is not an authorized occupant, and even if the person is unknown to the landlord. If an adult residing the premises was not named in the unlawful detainer lawsuit, that person can delay the lockout by filing a “third party claim of right to possession,” otherwise known as an Arrieta Claim, before the lockout.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *